Historic New Braunfels (German, for "brown rock") is one of the top tourist attractions in Texas. The Main Plaza was built in 1845. The Fountain was added in 1895 to celebrate the 50th anniversary. The Bandstand was added in 1905. The Comal County Courthouse, built in its beautiful Romanesque revival style, stands across from the Main Plaza. The bell tower still announces the hour to the area.
New Braunfels is a popular Texas tourist town that was founded in 1845 by Prince Carl of Solms-Braunfels region of Germany and a group of German farmers and craftsmen. German names can be seen on the billboards and street names throughout the city. New Braunfels has a population of over 47,168 and is growing at a nice pace. It is the county seat of Comal County.
New Braunfels is an easy drive from major Texas cities. Austin is 40 miles to the north, San Antonio is 25 miles to the south, and Houston is 160 miles to the east. The historic town of Gruene, Texas and Canyon Lake are only minutes away.
With the Comal and Guadalupe Rivers running through the city, visitors and the local folk enjoy a variety of water recreational activities. These activities take center stage during the summer months with the nationally known Schlitterbahn leading the way. The Comal River is the second shortest in the world (after the D River in Oregon), just 3.2 miles (5.2 km) long, before emptying into the Guadalupe River. It is devoted to recreation most of its length. The upper reaches of the Comal are lined with park areas.
Every fall the city hosts Wurstfest which is one of the largest German festivals in America. Some of the best antique shopping can be enjoyed year around throughout the city.
Located in the beautiful Texas hill country, a visit to New Braunfels is sure to bring a smile and a desire to live here, year around. Friendly people, beautiful scenery, mild weather, and perfect location make our hometown the perfect place to live.
Places to visit while in New Braunfels:
- Natural Bridge Caverns
Texas' largest caverns. Located west of New Braunfels, Texas.
- Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch
Take a safari drive thru Texas style. Located west of New Braunfels, Texas.
- Schlitterbahn Waterpark Resort
America's most favorite Waterpark resort in New Braunfels.
One of the biggest festivals in the United States during November. It is a salute to the sausage making industry.
Gruene has been designated a Historic Town by the State of Texas.
- Canyon Lake
Canyon Lake has 80 miles of scenic shoreline and covers an 8,230 surface acre area.
- Touring Texas
This web site provides tourist information for the state of Texas with links to over 100 cities and towns throughout Texas.
- Wonder World Park - San Marcos, Texas
The most visited cave in Texas.
- Seaworld Adventure Park - San Antonio
Amusement rides, water rides and fun, shows with dolphins, whales and sea lions, and much more.
- Six Flags Fiesta Texas - San Antonio
Six Flags Fiesta Texas is sure to be a crowd-pleaser with a full line-up of rides, shows, and family-fun entertainment.
- McKenna Children's Museum
18,000 square feet of family fun including a rocketship with a moon landing.
- Schlitterbahn Waterpark
With the opening of the newest waterpark on Galveston Island, there are now three great Schlitterbahn Waterparks. Each is a unique experience.
Things to do in New Braunfels:
- Miles of river offer perfect tubing, swimming, and sunbathing. Water sports are “King” here.
- Drive up the River Road that winds across the Guadalupe River many times for some special scenery.
- Take a boating tour or cruise.
- Take a walking tour of historic New Braunfels.
- Nature watching and photography at its finest.
- Fishing from the Guadalupe River or charter a fishing boat on Canyon Lake.
- Shopping at the factory outlet stores and local tourist stores.
- Shopping at the antique stores in the area are some of the best in Texas.
- Dining at the river front or downtown restaurants. Some are well know for their German and Mexican cuisine.
- Visit Art Centers and Museums.
- A “must” on any visitor’s list is Landa Park, the pride of New Braunfels. Enjoy everything from water activities to 18 holes of challenging golf.
- Historic town of Gruene is only minutes away.
- Canyon Lake with its 80 miles of scenic shoreline is only 30 minutes away.